The necessity to enact this act to solve problems.
In order to protect and take care of elephants in consideration of the culture, traditions, ways of life, and occupation of the people including the implementation of international obligations. For preventing someone taking the elephant to become a pet, taking elephants for exploitation, taking elephants out of the kingdom which are not taking them back, and Ivory trafficking. Therefore it is necessary to enact the law to solve the problem as follows.
- Elephant registration when entering the eighth years old. There may be a gap in smuggling wild elephants. Or taking baby elephants from neighbor countries that were registered before they turn to eight years old. Or taking wild elephants to register as dead elephants. Thus, having to register the elephant identification certificate within a reasonable time in order to prevent the registration of illegal elephants.
- When the elephant identification document has been registered. The age of the identification certificate should be determined so that the elephant’s status is still alive or dead, and the details of the elephant’s appearance should be changed to be always corrected.
- Elephants are considered an important and symbolic animal of the country that must be controlled by registration of the elephant identification certificate for protection of ownership.
- Control the importation of elephants into the kingdom to be appropriate and according to the requirements of CITES (the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora, also known as the Washington Convention). In which elephants can be imported into the kingdom must be an elephant that was born from a mother that went out of the kingdom. Moreover, prohibiting the import and export of elephants and international ivory.
- To facilitate the people, the elephant owner will ask the registrar to register ownership and proceed with other activities in the area where the elephant is located without having to take the elephant to the registrar’s office. As well as imposing measures to prevent taking elephants in various locations inappropriate by specifying the movement of elephants must be approved.
- Establish measures to prevent illegal ivory trade by requiring elephant product traders to obtain approval. The registrar has to inspect and issue documents for elephant products.
- Increase penalty for increasing fear of committing an offense including adjusting various fee rates to be suitable.
**Thanks for information from the Department of Livestock Development